Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sweet Potato Chaat / Shakarkandi Chaat



I came to know about this Chaat recipe recently in a North Indian Wedding Reception held in Coimbatore. Initial startup of the dinner started with usual Chaat items and Soups. First I started with Chaat items and tasted this sweet potato Chaat. It was really yummy and tempting to eat another plate. There was a large queue for this Chaat. So I left that place and moved to have soup. After soup session I find only few people left in the queue and I ordered one more plate and asked him what was that spice mix..He couldn't explain and just said it is sweet potato. While tasting I could Identify half of the Ingredients used in that recipe. Still then I am not satisfied what could be the items used. The sweet spicy and tangy taste dominated my tongue and I filled half of my stomach with these sweet potatoes. I came home and searched in net...but could not find the complete Ingredients used in that. I made experiments with these sweet potatoes and some spices. To my Surprise I realized the exact taste of that Sweet Potato Chaat what I had in that Wedding. Wow!!! I found it!! It was Yummy n Superb!!!

Ingredients:
  • Sweet Potatoes - 5 nos
  • Lemon - 1/2 lemon of medium size
  • Sugar Powder - 2 tbsp
  • Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
  • Amchur / Dry mango Powder - 1 tbsp
  • Cumin / Jeera Powder - 1/2 tbsp
  • Chaat Masala Powder - 1tbsp
  • Oil for deep frying
Cooking Method:
  • Soak the sweet Potatoes in water for about 10 mins and wash thoroughly. 
  • Cut into cubes and cook in steam for about 10 mins. I used Idly pan for cooking. Don't cook with water.
  • After cooking check with the toothpick. Peel the skin of it. 
  • In a frying pan add oil and fry these sweet potatoes until golden brown and crispy. Keep it in a separate bowl.
 Click the Image and zoom you will get clear enlarged stepwise pictures


  • Keep ready with the spice powders Chilli powder, amchur powder, jeera powder and chaat masala powder, sugar powder and lemon.
  • Take the fried sweet potatoes in a bowl squeeze the lemon all over the potatoes.
  • Also sprinkle all the spice powders mentioned and sugar powder too. 
  • Toss the bowl so that all the sweet potatoes well coated with the spice powders and lemon extract.
  • Toss twice or thrice. 

Serve hot. It will be crispy spicy tangy and with sweet flavour. No need of any sides.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...